The best car insurance companies offer competitive rates that fit your budget, extensive coverage options, discounts to help you save, high third-party customer satisfaction and financial strength scores, and strong digital tools. Our extensive research revealed that these 10 insurers are some of the best car insurance companies available. We’ve highlighted each company’s standout feature to help you decide which insurer fits your specific needs. For example, if you’re looking for a long list of discounts, you may want to get a quote from Auto-Owners, but if you prefer to manage your policy digitally, Progressive could be the better option. Your car insurance needs are unique to your situation, so understanding what you want from an insurer and shopping around can be an important step when looking for the best car insurance.
How Bankrate picked the best auto insurance companies
We used our car insurance expertise and extensive data to assess the insurance industry’s landscape to provide an easy-to-use shopping and comparison tool for consumers. Along with reviewing each company’s coverage options, discounts, digital features and third-party scores, we used Quadrant Information Services to obtain up-to-date average rate information for both full and minimum coverage. We combined this information into a Bankrate Score out of 5.0 total points. The higher a company’s Bankrate Score, the more competitively that company ranked in each scoring category. Our picks highlight auto insurers that:
- Generate a 4.0 or higher Bankrate Score
- Earn a J.D. Power claims satisfaction score within 20 points of the industry average or higher in the 2022 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study
- Carry an “Excellent” or “Superior” financial strength rating from AM Best
- Have a strong digital presence with a consumer-friendly mobile app or digital policy management features
- Are deemed by Bankrate to be the best in a particular market category